Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Giving up spending!

by Carla Green

Do you ever wonder where or how your needs are going to be met especially when you sense that God has asked that you do something?  God has given me a vision for helping businesses through the local churches.  There are certain start-up costs associated with starting a business and this is no exception.  This business need has come up at the same time as the Lent season, so a 40 day fast of some sort seemed appropriate.  Not from the sense of trying to manipulate God but to spring clean to hear and receive everything God has for me.  While there are some food modifications in this fast, I sensed that fasting from spending outside of groceries was in order.

The first day I felt like God was telling me to fast spending came while enjoying a skinny latte at Starbucks.  So I said to myself, "Enjoy this one because it will be 6 more weeks before I get another."  That evening, I was at a church event where our group won a stimulating round of trivia.  The reward was a $5 gift card and bonus for me, my husband doesn't like Starbucks, make that $10.  Within 12 hours my "Abba, Father" gave me 2 trips to Starbucks.

A couple of days later, I was driving between meetings and found myself hungry but no food.  I asked how this was going to get resolved and God said to lean on Him.  I thought that was to prompt me to pray that my hunger be taken away.  When I got to my appointment, I was met with "I want to take you to lunch and order what I like, my treat."  Again God comes through with a great lunch, I tried something new, and I let someone take care of me, and it was amazing.

This fast has become a reliance on how God will take care of my needs.  Giving up control and spending?  Crazy but He more than satisfies, He surprises, and spoils His kids.  I'm not sure how He is going to take care of the business start-up costs but I'm still seeking His direction. 

Matthew 6:31-33 (the whole chapter is great on this!)

Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment