Monday, May 13, 2013

What Are You Working For?

What are you working for?  Money.  Relationships.  Security.  Is it fulfilling?  Or are you looking for and waiting for early retirement?  Does your work satisfy?  Do you stand back when something is accomplished and find satisfaction in your work?  Or do you just run through the tasks everyday working towards a paycheck, a weekend, a vacation, or a promotion. 

I remember a time when I didn't find much satisfaction in my work and I hated getting my yearly salary increases.  Might sound funny but it reset the clock to have to wait another year for the next exciting moment in my job.  Very sad.  Once I realized that my vocation was something that God wanted to restore my job and use it for His purpose.  It changed the way I work.  I spent the last 6 days mostly away from work through a four day weekend with family, whom I love and a 2 day retreat with my fellow workers, whom I love.  During these last six days I have missed my work.  While it is unhealthy to become all about work because even God rested on the 7th day.  We also must build rest into our daily, weekly, monthly and yearly schedules to reflect with God and family all the blessings and spend time getting refueled.  However, I have missed working alongside My Father (God) and watching Him create and use my vocation for His purposes.

I'm not wanting anything..."The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want" Psalm 23:1
I'm not anxious for anything... "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God."  Philippians 4:6

What if our work could be satisfying?  What if we could regain that passion that we had when we were young thinking about what we wanted to grow up to be, before we headed to college to study for our exciting new careers, before we started our jobs that held so much anticipation?  How do we get here?  It's so important to know that God loves you and made you uniquely for a purpose.  He hid an amazing treasure in you and is waiting for you to engage to unlock the treasure. 

"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain" - Psalm 127:1

To find out more about your workplace calling and how to live that out, join our MERGE community.  Check out our website www.MERGEBusiness.com

No comments:

Post a Comment